Complete information on the processes for nominating and electing AAAS Fellows can be found at https://www.aaas.org/programs/fellows/current-nomination-cycle. Please read the online information completely as the notes below are only the highlights.
The AAAS ByLaws allow the Section U Steering Committee to select three Steering Group nominations and five 3-Fellow nominations from those submitted to send forward to the AAAS Council.
Criteria: A member whose efforts on behalf of the advancement of science or its applications are scientifically or socially distinguished and who has been a continuous member for the four year period leading up to the year of nomination, may, by virtue of such meritorious contribution be elected a Fellow by the Council. Examples of areas in which nominees may have made significant contributions are: research; teaching; technology; services to professional societies; administration in academe, industry, and government; and communicating and interpreting science to the public.
Nomination Types: Three types of nominations are possible:
- 3-Fellow Nominations made by groups of three AAAS Fellows with current memberships. These packages must be completed and submitted by April 29, 2020.
- Steering Group Nominations, made by the Section U leadership. Materials for Steering Group nominated fellows should be received by the Section Secretary by April 8, 2020.
- Nominations made by the AAAS Chief Executive Officer
Nominees must have been a continuous member of AAAS since December 31, 2016 or earlier. We have provided a list of AAAS members who have designed Section U as their primary section. One Steering Committee Fellow may be nominated who does not meet the four-year membership criteria. It is not required that any Fellow nominee be a member of our section (or any section).
Steering Group Nomination
A Steering Group nomination requires
- Contact information
- Updated CV
- List of 10 most impactful publications
- Nomination letter
- Steering Group Addendum Form
Process for Submitting Three-Fellow Nominations
Requirement for the Three Fellow Sponsors:
- Only previously elected AAAS Fellows who are current in their membership may serve as sponsors.
- You can also search the entire AAAS database of fellows at the Elected Fellows page.
- No Fellow may serve as a sponsor on more than two (2) three-fellow nominations in any given year.
- Only one of the three sponsors may be affiliated with the same institution as that of the nominee.
Process for Lead Fellow Sponsor
- Verification of nominee eligibility is required in advance of submission. Please email email@example.com with the nominee name and institution to obtain verification.
- The eligibility requirement is membership in AAAS, but not membership in Section U. If you do nominate someone who is not in Section U, please ask the nominee to designate Section U as their primary section.
- A .pdf fillable nomination form can be obtained from http://www.aaas.org/current-nomination-cycle or here.
- The nomination form must be signed by the primary sponsor.
- All three sponsors must submit supporting letters on letterhead. (Guidelines for the content of those letters can be found here.)
- Required supporting information (e.g., nominees contact and biographical information, section (Statistics is Section U), citation, CV, etc.) is listed on the pdf application form.
- The package must also contain a Letter of Recommendation Addendum.